Hemispheric New York Performance Network
Led by the Hemispheric Institute and supported by the Rockefeller Foundation’s NYC Cultural Innovation Fund, the Hemispheric New York Performance Network (HNYPN) seeks to create innovative, long-term institutional partnerships with key NYC arts spaces to provide comprehensive and creative support and training for politically engaged local performance-based artists.
HNYPN Initiative Goals
- Create partnerships with arts spaces to support and train performance-based NYC artists in more comprehensive ways than each institution can achieve on its own.
- Provide artists with rehearsal and performance facilities, research resources, engagement with an academic community, and access to varied networks of arts practitioners and organizations, scholars, activists and community organizers.
- Develop a multicultural and intergenerational community of artists—a space of encuentro, or encounter—where diverse practitioners come together to learn, exchange ideas and create cutting-edge work.
- Create spaces in which artists can work at the intersection of art and social transformation by combining artistic excellence and political efficacy.
- Increase the presence of Americas-wide artists in NYC venues by building on the Hemispheric Institute’s 12 years of fomenting collaborations between artists, activists, and scholars across the Americas.
- Artist Residencies: 2 annual 12-month residencies for mid-career artists in collaboration with HERE, Dixon Place, BAAD! and BAX, supporting the creation and presentation of new work. The 2013 HNYPN Artists-in-Residence are Soomi Kim and Paloma Mc Gregor.
- Emerging Artist Fellowships: 1 annual 12-month fellowship at HNY for an emerging artist. The 2013 HNYPN Emerging Artist Fellow is Adam Horowitz.
- Visiting Artist series: 2 transnational artists per year, selected by the Steering Committee, lead workshops, give talks and perform at partner venues in NYC.
- Trasnocheo: A yearly cabaret-style performance event featuring NYC artists.
- EMERGENYC: A yearly program of workshops and mentoring for emerging NYC “artivists”. CONVERGENYC organziations and artists will participate with EMERGENYC in a variety of ways.
- Public Forums: Leading scholars, visiting artists, and local practitioners will take part in public forums on issues central to the Institute’s mission and relevant to our community of artists.
- Curated Conversations: With our partners, we will facilitate a space for dialogue between NYC artists to share ideas, strategies and practices aimed at making a positive social intervention in the city.
- The Hemispheric New York Performance Network is led by a streering committee comprised of representatives from our core partner organizations, as well as representatives from other collaborating institutions.